Boston Cream Poke Cake is a delicious dessert that combines the flavors of a classic Boston Cream Pie with the convenience of a sheet cake. It’s a popular dessert in the United States and is relatively easy to make. Here’s a basic recipe for Boston Cream Poke Cake:
For the cake:
- 1 box of yellow cake mix (plus the ingredients required to make the cake, typically eggs, water, and oil)
- 1 cup of whole milk
For the filling:
- 1 box of instant vanilla pudding mix
- 2 cups of whole milk
For the chocolate glaze:
- 1/2 cup of semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup of heavy cream
- 1/4 cup of granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons of unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- Prepare the yellow cake according to the instructions on the box. Bake it in a 9×13-inch baking dish. Once it’s done, allow it to cool for a few minutes.
- While the cake is still warm, use the handle of a wooden spoon to poke holes all over the cake. Make sure the holes go all the way to the bottom of the pan.
- In a medium bowl, prepare the instant vanilla pudding mix by whisking it with 2 cups of whole milk. Let it sit for a few minutes to thicken.
- Pour the pudding mixture over the cake, ensuring it fills the holes and spreads evenly.
- Refrigerate the cake for at least an hour to allow the pudding to set.
- In a small saucepan, combine the chocolate chips, heavy cream, sugar, and butter. Heat the mixture over low heat, stirring constantly, until the chocolate chips are fully melted and the sauce is smooth. Remove it from heat and stir in the vanilla extract.
- Pour the chocolate glaze over the top of the cake, spreading it evenly with a spatula.
- Refrigerate the cake for a couple of hours to let the glaze set.
- Once the cake is chilled and set, it’s ready to serve. You can cut it into slices and enjoy your Boston Cream Poke Cake.
This dessert combines the richness of a Boston Cream Pie with the convenience of a poke cake, making it a crowd-pleaser at potlucks, parties, and family gatherings. Enjoy!