Ingredients: For the crust: 1 cup unsalted butter, softened 1/2 cup granulated sugar 2 cups all-purpose flour 1/4 teaspoon salt
For the filling:
- 2 cups fresh or frozen cherries, pitted and halved (if using frozen, thaw and drain excess liquid)
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
For the glaze:
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1-2 tablespoons milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C) and grease a 9×13-inch baking dish.
- To make the crust, in a large mixing bowl, cream the softened butter and granulated sugar together until smooth. Add in the flour and salt, and mix until the dough comes together.
- Press the crust mixture evenly into the bottom of the prepared baking dish, creating an even layer.
- In a saucepan, combine the cherries, granulated sugar, cornstarch, water, and lemon juice for the filling. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until the mixture thickens and the cherries are coated in the sauce. This should take about 5 minutes.
- Pour the cherry filling over the crust in the baking dish, spreading it out evenly.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 25-30 minutes, or until the crust is lightly golden and the cherry filling is bubbly.
- While the bars are baking, prepare the glaze. In a small bowl, mix together the powdered sugar, milk, and vanilla extract until you get a smooth, pourable glaze consistency.
- Once the cherry bars are done baking, remove them from the oven and let them cool in the baking dish for a few minutes.
- Drizzle the glaze over the warm bars using a spoon or a piping bag.
- Allow the bars to cool completely before cutting them into squares.
These cherry bars are a delightful treat that can be served as dessert or a sweet snack. Enjoy!